Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Sets, Infinity, Limits, and Functions

I hope I have substantiated my claim that one does not need facility with modern mathematics in order to grasp the philosophical problems posed by Zeno's paradoxes. Regardless, some of you have asked about the mathematics employed in addressing the mathematical problems posed by Zeno's paradozes. I have intentionally not focused on the mathematics in class. In case you are curious, I have posted two discussions by Wesley Salmon that deal with the mathematical concepts involved. The first discusses the concept of a limit, the sum of an infinite series, and mathematical functions. The second discusses sets and infinity. Both expositions assume no background in modern mathematics. If you read either and have questions about them, please comment to this post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home